Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Borderline Personality Disorder...My Mother, The Psycho

One day I'm my mother's best friend.  She calls me repeatedly, talking for up to an hour at a time.  She laughs, jokes, even tells me how proud she is of me.  The very next day, or maybe even the same evening, she calls and it's a completely different story.  I'm worthless, stupid, fat, over-sexed, ungrateful, and oh yeah, she hates me.  This is always my fault.  Not really, but to hear her tell it I should have never been born...at least at that moment. 
I have spent my entire life trying to please her.  Trying in vain to make her love me.  Trying to have a mother-daughter relationship like so many women my age have with their mothers.  A normal relationship.  A healthy relationship.
My mother isn't normal.  Nor is she healthy.  She has borderline personality disorder.  She taught it to both my brother and I.  We are choosing to overcome and break the cycle.  We refuse to live in a borderline world. 
Borderline Personality Disorder affects millions.  While there is some proof of hereditary link, the majority of cases are environmental.  A third category, neurological damage, is less known.  My mother falls into this category.  She suffered severe head trauma as a 5th grader.  A maypole fell and hit her while she was playing on the playground during recess.  She wasn't expected to live and was in a coma for several weeks.  The doctor's told my grandparents she would never be 'right' and would require special care.  She had multiple surgeries - mostly to repair eye damage.  My grandparents, taking the physician's advice, babied her.  She was never held accountable for her actions or behavior.  The general consensus was, "poor Jackie...she had such a terrible accident."  My great-grandmother told me on many an occasion my mother had gone from a very pleasant, fun loving child to an enraged, verbally abusive stranger.  She would scream obscenities at my grandparents and her siblings...with no consequences.  Everyone was told she couldn't help it and to essentially 'look the other way'. 
I don't doubt my mother suffered brain damage.  I also don't doubt 'turning the other cheek' added to her already disturbed thought process.  I love you!  I hate you!  Don't leave me!  Go away!  Childish and petulant behavior.  Behavior that I refuse to deal with.  I have boundaries and from this day forward, I will not allow them to be trampled on.  My brother feels exactly the same way. 
We are done being victims.  I hope everyone can find a way to enforce their personal boundaries and not allow themselves to be victimized by anybody.
Keep moving!  Keep peace in your heart...and always love completely!!

No comments:

Post a Comment