Monday, July 9, 2012

Avocado's are suspicious.

The past few days we have been eating avocado.  We've had guacamole tortilla chips, homemade dip with guacamole & another dip made with guacamole & spinach.  This took place over a 3-day period.  


I was awoke at 2:00am with a powerful need to vomit.  After completely emptying my stomach & brushing my teeth, I went back to bed until 6:30am.
Several things were "off" for me.  I had to poop.  Very unusual.  I had turds when I pooped.  Even more rare.  My poop was green...fibrous green logs.  Never happened before.  Ever.



I borrowed the following from Wikipedia...

"Avocado leaves, bark, skin, or pit are documented to be harmful to animals; cats, dogs, cattle, goats, rabbits, rats, birds, fish, and horses can be severely harmed or even killed when they consume them. The avocado fruit is poisonous to some birds, and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) lists it as toxic to many animals including cats, dogs, and horses. Avocado is an ingredient in AvoDerm dog food and cat food. However, the ASPCA has declined to say whether this food is safe or not.
Avocado leaves contain a toxic fatty acid derivative, persin, which in sufficient quantity can cause colic in horses and, without veterinary treatment, death. The symptoms include gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea, respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart, and even death. Birds also seem to be particularly sensitive to this toxic compound. Feeding avocados or guacamole to an animal should be avoided completely.
Some people have allergic reactions to avocado. There are two main forms of allergy: those with a tree-pollen allergy develop local symptoms in the mouth and throat shortly after eating avocado; the second, known as latex-fruit syndrome, is related to latex allergy and symptoms include generalised urticaria, abdominal pain, and vomiting and can sometimes be life-threatening."
I further found numerous sites proclaiming the avocado is only safely consumed by ant eaters & humans.  I generally do not trust things my dogs can't have...or dislike.  Chocolate being the only exception I fully stand behind.  I'm not insane, after all!!
Have I mentioned my amazing husband also randomly vomited this weekend? Second day of eating the avocado.  Neither of us have a latex allergy.
I blame the avocado.  They're very suspicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment