Monday, July 20, 2009

I decided to get chickens!

I have always lived in town up until 3 years ago. But, I can remember all the times at my Grandparents farm...the smell of hay & alfalfa, the cows...and the chickens at my Great-Grandmother's. I loved them!! I loved the cows, too...but I need more land for them! LOL!

I found MyPetChicken.com by accident while looking for inexpensive, but aesthetically pleasing, coops. I ordered everything from them. I ordered 4 brown Leghorns, 2 golden laced Wyandotte's, 2 silver laced Wyandotte's, 2 buff Brahma Bantams, 2 Black Stars, 2 Red Stars, 1 Buff Silkie & 1 white-crested blue Polish Roosters. What I received was 4 brown Leghorns, 3 golden laced Wyandotte's, 1 silver laced Wyandotte, 2 buff Brahma Bantams, 1 Black Star, 2 Red Stars, 2 Buff Silkies, 1 Blue Silkie & 1 blue-crested Polish Rooster. Good order! I love my Silkies!! I just put another order in for 1 white Silkie, a gold Polish hen & a Sumatra black hen. Everything but my rooster are hens...don't want any cock fights!! LOL!
The chicks spent the 1st 3 weeks of life in our garage in a large industrial tub. For the 3rd week of life they lived in the coop with a puppy play pen as a yard. This past weekend my husband & son built the Chick Yard...

The cute little bench will ultimately be in the Chick Yard for me to sit & enjoy my chickens. They are SO MUCH FUN!! I really enjoy watching them. They have to be the dumbest animal on earth, but for some reason, they make me smile. Ahhhh...the important things in life, right??


This is my Chick Crib...with my motto sign being hung by hubby & my son. They hung this before we even received the chicks. Such good guys!!













Random photo's of my chicks:
They are 1 day old, 1 week, 2 weeks & 3 weeks here...Silkie's & my Polish Rooster.
I have named my Rooster - Marley. My Blue Silkie is Baloo. My white Silkie, which I don't even have yet, is Daisy. My Polish hen is Elvis. LOL!

My Red's are Ginger & Penny and my Black Star is Ducky. That's all we have so far. LOL!

Here are some of gilrs coming down the pank.

No comments:

Post a Comment